Spoke with my mother this morning to confirm the story she once told me.

She used to hear from her aunt whom was born in the late 1800, if a grave was open after 7 years and the body had not decomposed completely the body was blessed by the priest and the "coveiro" (gravedigger) would beat the body and reburied it. She believes that the beating was to help speed the decomposition. May be beating is not the correct word here.

As for the body out to sea. She remembers of a story of someone from Madalena with a very bad reputation that was buried twice and after the second time the body was still intact it was decided to dump the body in the ocean.

As for saints who's body did not decomposes, when opening graves they are other signs like the fragrances of flowers.

Manny