I have a Jose dos Santos Madeira from SM Vila Franca do Campo he was born
on 22 Dec 1812, His father was Manuel dos Santos and was born in Madeira.
Later generations changed to Medeiros, family story says because his father
was from Madeira they added it to their names. If you find a connection let
me know.