My ancestors came to Brazil from São Miguel, and I know that some of my
family's cousins went to Hawaii.  This was from the same village.  As far
as I could tell, it had to do with when they left.  They had different
waves of immigrations.  So, in a certain year, recruiters would come to
bring people to Hawaii.  When my ancestors left, most people were going to
Brazil.  Interestingly enough, my ancestors also worked on sugar
plantations, but in Brazil.