If memory serves me correctly, I had my immigrants' marriage date on a
creased piece of paper.  The 2nd papers for naturalization said the place
of marriage was "New Bedford, Connecticut."  No freguesia.  So I got up one
morning and started calling all the Catholic churches in New Bedford,
Massachusetts.  First church wasn't around in 1905.  The 2nd church I
called was St. John the Baptist.  I gave the priest the marriage date and
yes, they were married there.  And not only that, the church had the
freguesia.  That was my 25th document on these people and even though I
have more paperwork on them since then, it remains the only document to
date that I have found that has the actual freguesia.

Yes, it was worth it.  A relative had told me my immigrants got married in
Rhode Island. That search was fruitless, even with the date.  Even though
my ancestor got her states confused, I knew the city was right.

By-the-way, on the 2nd papers she said she had sailed on the "Pensailor" to
America.  On the last page it was stamped by the U.S. Government that they
searched the 1901 manifest for the Peninsular and were unable to find her.
But they granted her citizenship anyways (she was in her 70s by then).  And
she was on the manifest.  It's just that her older sister was doing the
talking and give the family alcunha and not the surname.

Achada