Antonio, my Couto line, from Arrifes and Sao Roque, Sao Miguel, has Bonito
for an alcunha, and I've seen it in church records and on passenger lists.
 I've seen other families with the alcunha Feio, so I guess my family was
lucky.  My maternal grandmother's Frias family from Lagoa, Sao Miguel, has
the alcunha Malassada.

Another branch of my family was called Pingao.  I'm remembering this from
many, many years ago.  I was told the word meant squash, but my dictionary
suggests that it means a very large drop.  I suppose a squash resembles a
very large drop. Have you ever come across Pingao?

Nancy