Thank you, so much. This is fascinating. It was always suspected that we
had Jewish ancestry on my mother's side. Also, my DNA ethnic makeup
indicates 6% middle eastern. So that makes sense. But what I find curious
is that I don't recall seeing such a description in any of the other obitos
in that family.

My father was born in 1907 in Manaus, Brazil although his parents were from
Viseu area in Portugal. The story is his father (Sebastião dos Santos
Verissimo) "disappeared" in Brazil and my father and his mother returned to
Portugal around 1910. It's suspected that they just split up. I would love
to find out what happened to him. Any suggestions on where to start this
search?

Also, I have other family on my mother's side who emigrated to Brazil - São
Paulo I believe, but I haven't yet gotten round to exploring that side of
my ancestry. I do know one was an opera singer in the early part of the
20th century.

On Wed, Oct 8, 2014 at 3:05 PM, <robertaing...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Mary Ann,
>
> This is a Jewish or Muslim custom, have you read anything about the
> Marranos from Azores? It might interest you. I am Brazilian and I speak
> Portuguese and opened your post to help you with the document, glad to see
> someone else already did. :)
>
> On Sunday, September 28, 2014 5:16:36 AM UTC-7, Maryann Santos wrote:
>>
>> I'm trying to figure out the death record for Albina Maria Barbosa (right
>> page center) but can't seem to figure out the last four lines - something
>> about a white shroud? Any help would be appreciated.
>>
>> As always, thanks!
>> MaryAnn
>>
>> http://culturacores.azores.gov.pt/biblioteca_digital/SMG-
>> RG-FENAISAJUDA-O-1817-1839/SMG-RG-FENAISAJUDA-O-1817-1839_item1/P125.html
>>
>  --

*MaryAnn Santos*
Senior Advisement and Student Affairs Administrator
Department of Art and Art Professions
NYU/Steinhardt
212.998.5702
m...@nyu.edu