Most DNA project admins would tell you, if the person is in their 80s or
90s, GET THEIR DNA!!!  Doesn't matter what you order, just get them
swabbed!!!!  We want to preserve their DNA.  They will be leaving a legacy
to us and others who will get into this hobby in the future!

When a DNA kit is sent out, it has 2 swabs.  The testee will scrape the
left cheek with one swab for 1 minute and then will scrape the right cheek
with the other swab for 1 minute.  Those swabs have all kinds of DNA on
them:  Y chromosomes, mitochondrial, autosomal DNA.  Family Tree DNA will
keep the samples for at least 25 years.

So if you order Y-DNA on this uncle, they would extract just the Y
chromosome.  If you order Family Finder, they will extract the autosomes.
If you order Y-DNA now, they will pull the Y chromosome.  If you add on
Family Finder later, they will pull his vials and extract the autosomal DNA
at that time.

Y-DNA will focus on this uncle's strict paternal line:  His father's
father's father's only, or the top of his pedigree.  It might be a few
generations of Pachecos, but then it will probably be a different surname
going back in time.  We are getting a few Y-DNA matches within the
project.  Until we get a sample from each unique male who settled the
Azores and we reach critical mass, we won't be getting a ton of Portuguese
matches with his Y-DNA.  We'll get them, but right now it's a slow trickle.

The autosomal DNA (Family Finder, as it is called) will cover ALL LINES of
this uncle back about 200 years from his birth.  So if this man is born in
the 1920s, his DNA will go back to about the 1720s.  If he's lucky, he may
have a sticky segment in there from an ancestor in the late 1600s.  Note I
said "AN ancestor."  Not all of the ancestors from the 1600s.  You will get
lots of matches from people on this list with this type of DNA testing.
You'll have to check out their trees and email them.  This type of DNA
doesn't tell you which ancestor. You get to figure out that part.  It's
like a 1000 piece puzzle....kind of overwhelming at first to try to piece
it all together.  After you get a few pieces (figure out a few cousins), it
will slowly start to fall into place.  But it will take some time and
effort on your part.

Because of his age, I'd try to do both tests on him.  I wouldn't worry
about the mtDNA at this time.  mtDNA is inside the cell, it's in abundance,
and it's really hardy.  I'd do Y-DNA and Fam. Finder on him.  If they don't
enough of chromosome 10, for example, they can mail him another kit get and
get another swab from hims.  If you decide in 5 years to do Fam.Finder on
him and he's no longer here, then you may be out of luck (they do try to
replicate the DNA and go through the vials with a fine tooth comb (well,
microscope) and try every way they can to get that missing chromosome).

I have a $25 off Y-DNA.  Order that on him.  Then add on Family Finder.  I
have a $10 off that too.  Email me directly at gfscherim at gmail.com.

Achada