Bill, as far as I know and if the person was married, the process was to
adopt the children 'under' the marriage umbrella with the wife now being
the legal mother.  If the wife died in the interim the father could go
through the process of "perfilhacao" which is more like adopting but not
quite.  Through this process he would legally give the children his name.
There are a few cases.  If this were to have happened in your case you
would see the priest's notes on the birth record, stating so.

What I've experienced is that the family or the children would take it upon
themselves to carry the name, in this case they may have had an amiable
relationship with their father who allowed them to carry it.  In those days
most children born of incognito Fathers or Parents all picked a SURNAME
along the way.  I've seen the process where it seems they were having a
hard time to decide and go through a few names before you see it settle
after so many years.

This is what I can offer that might shed some light on your question.

Cheers,

On Tue, Jan 6, 2015 at 3:01 PM, <bsei2...@gmail.com> wrote:

> This record is the baptism of my wife's grandfather (José, record #6,
> lower right and continuing on the next page).
>
> The only reason I know it is him is that his marriage and death are
> recorded in the margin notes.  His last name is not on the record and there
> is no mention of any father.  My wife knew that this mother was never
> married, but had three children from a father that she believes was married
> to someone else.  All three children took the father's name, Braga.
>
> What might the process have been for conferring the father's name on
> children born out of wedlock?
>
> Also of interest to my wife is that she always heard that her aunt had the
> name Augusta for her paternal grandmother.  My wife was surprised to find
> out that this grandmother was Maria Júlia, and that her aunt's name was
> likely for the surname, Augusto.
>
> http://culturacores.azores.gov.pt/biblioteca_digital/SMA-VP-ALMAGREIRA-B-1903-1906/SMA-VP-ALMAGREIRA-B-1903-1906_item1/P19.html
>
> Bill Seidler

Margaret M Vicente