OK, in case anyone searches the archives years later and find this and the
links don't work, I'll repost with steps on how I got to it in the first
place.

The Portuguese Paleography guide:
This was about 40 some pages, originally published by the Family History
Library.  It is now online on their FamilySearch.org web site.  A direct
link has been provided at the Azores GenWeb.  Right now (Feb, 2015), you
can go to the Azores GenWeb, point at Research Aids M-Z and pick
Paleography.  Clicking on the links from the Azores GenWeb leads you
directly to the Family Search site.  However, if Family Search
recategorizes their site, then the links will not work.  They are working
as of February, 2015.
http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~azrwgw/paleography.html  or
http://goo.gl/vIhJ0A

Portuguese Genealogical Word list:
This was about 8 or 10 pages, also originally published by the Family
History Library.  It is also online at FamilySearch.org.  Again, a link is
provided from the Azores GenWeb that works as of February 2015, but it may
not be working a few years from now.  I went to the Azores GenWeb, pointed
at Research Aids M-Z, and clicked on Portuguese Word List.  On the next
page, I clicked Portuguese Genealogical Word List which linked me back to
the FamilySearch site.
http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~azrwgw/portuguese_word_list1.html    or
http://goo.gl/wQQjsT

No guarantees what those links will do in a few years, but hopefully the
steps are close enough for someone to figure out how I got there in the
first place.

Achada