Was it common for someone to assume the name of godparents rather than
parents?  Could they choose whatever name best suited them?

I finally got a handle on the family of my maternal grandfather, John
Dutra.  I knew his parents (my mother's paternal grandparents) lived in
Feteira in 1930 and were neighbors of my mother's maternal grandparents
(Ventura Pacheco de Mello and Felicidade from São Miguel) when these two
sets of parents arranged for their children to marry in California.  John
was already in California and my grandmother emigrated from Feteira to
marry him.  In 1940 my grandmother was a widow with 5 kids and all contact
with the Dutra side was lost.  As it turned out my grandfather's family was
in Feteira for many generations, but on discovering his baptism I found
that his father was José D'Utra Pacheco da Silva but none of his
grandparents had any form of Dutra or Pacheco.  His paternal grandmother's
family did have Silva.

This baptism can be found here:
http://culturacores.azores.gov.pt/biblioteca_digital/TER-AH-RIBEIRINHA-B-1900-1911/TER-AH-RIBEIRINHA-B-1900-1911_item1/P228.html
 (first
entry)

Then I found his father's baptism which confirmed the paternal grandparents
names which did not include Dutra or Pacheco, but the padrinhos are listed
as José Dutra P.° (Pacheco?) son of Theodoro Dutra, and his daughter Maria
Augusto Dutra who lived in the city of Angra.
It is the first baptism on this page
http://culturacores.azores.gov.pt/biblioteca_digital/TER-AH-RIBEIRINHA-B-1845-1857/TER-AH-RIBEIRINHA-B-1845-1857_item1/P117.html

Thanks for any insight the group can offer.

Bill Seidler