The Open Library site has links to hundreds of local history books

https://openlibrary.org/works/OL7900785W/History_of_Stanislaus_County_California

https://openlibrary.org/books/OL24156285M/History_of_Alameda_County_California

https://openlibrary.org/works/OL9207950W/A_history_of_Merced_County_California

https://openlibrary.org/works/OL16289645W/History_of_Santa_Cruz_County_California

 Just enter the county name and history in the search box and look down the
list for the "READ"  icon

Internet Archive has city directories by the hundreds

https://archive.org/details/texts

The search is something I haven't figured out yet. Pages like the Golden
Nugget Library http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~npmelton/

has links to read them online

Eric Edgar