Maria Elena,

If this child was baptized sub conditione is of itself a confirmation the
baby made it so far.  The record reads the baby was baptized by Mathias
Ferreira.  It doesn't state if it was at the home but that's usually where
it happened and when the priest after examining the person that performed
the "rushed" baptism wasn't satisfied that it had been done correctly he
then would do it again in the church "under the condition" but the Church
(Catholic) only recognizes one time only baptism.

If the Priest found the baptism was done right he then would anoint the
child subsequently in the church but you would not see the words "sub
conditione".

This is my understanding of the process, others may wish to chime in.

Hope this helps clarify your question.

Margaret Vicente

On Sun, Mar 29, 2015 at 10:01 PM, Maria Lima <maria.lima...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On left side the 3 one down- not sure if the name of the child is is
> Francisco(?)
>
> there's something that happened why the priest wrote he baptized "sub
> conditione" ...  Then after the names of the parents the priest says
> something about where the "menino" or the child is from.  It's an unusual
> record. Can someone tell me did the child die? This record is legible; just
> my Portuguese is limited.
>

> http://culturacores.azores.gov.pt/biblioteca_digital/SMG-PD-RELVA-B-1641-1699/SMG-PD-RELVA-B-1641-1699_item1/P147.html
>
> Thank you so much.
> Maria Elena