From: azores@googlegroups.com [mailto:azores@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of
Richard Francis Pimentel
Sent: Saturday, April 4, 2015 7:40 AM
To: azores@googlegroups.com
Subject: RE: [AZORES-Genealogy] Question about preferred method for entering
last names in Ancestry.com or other databases

Over the years I have tried different methods in entering names into Genealogy
programs. A major consideration in entering names from Portugal and the Acores,
is the naming traditions make it very confusing and the fact that names are
sorted there by first name. Thrown into this mix is the “de, da, do, dos” used
in names.

With this consideration I enter names this way: I enter the “de, da, do, dos”
at the end of the first name. Example Manuel da Costa is entered: first name
“Manuel da” last name “Costa”.

Manuel de Sousa da Costa is entered: first name “Manuel de” last name “Sousa da
Costa”

Names like Manuel Furtado are entered: first name “Manuel” last name “Furtado”

Many woman used religious names Such as “Maria de Jesus” and no last name is
given. In this case I enter the first name as “Maria de Jesus” and no last name
is used. I have some times found that woman later pick up or use their family
name. In this case I simply add that name as a last name. Thus her full name
becomes first name “Maria de Jesus de” last name “Sousa” In cases where woman
use a family name and no religious name I simply use the parameters as I
outline for men.

One more consideration is that children did not use family names and as such
were only referred to by their name given at birth. When they reached their
majority they were then referred to by a full name. Because  of the naming
traditions I do not arbitrarily assign them a family name.

I also found that the genealogy program you use should be able to sort names by
first name or last name and when entering names allow separate entry of first
and last name.

Rick

Richard Francis Pimentel

Epping, NH