Thank you George Medeiros for 2 great articles!
Nancy Jean

Subject: [AZORES-Genealogy] 5-2-Nov-68-130-167.  Portuguese/ Spanish Jews
Historical Notes Touro Synagogue Newport, R.I.
From: migueldeav...@gmail.com
Date: Sat, 18 Apr 2015 15:47:18 -0700
To: azores@googlegroups.com

Sam in Maz and Azores google group,
     Sam I thought you might find this PDF document interesting. I have been
for several years reading and studying about the Diaspora of Portuguese and
Spanish Jews to the Americas.The colony of Rhode Island was founded by Roger
Williams and established in 1649. The first Portuguese/ Spanish community in
North America was in New Amsterdam  which was established by the Dutch which
later became known as New York City. The second Jewish community was
established by Portuguese and Spanish in Newport, R.I. and the Synagogue
known as Touro Synagogue is the oldest one still in use. R.I. was known in the
Colonial Age as the place to go for those with differing religions so the
Quakers and Sephardic Jews from Spain and Portugal came to Newport which was
known as the "Religious Experiment ". This city was one of the first to
practice separation of church and state.so this was the place to go if you
wanted to be free to practice your faith. Below is a PDF I found that gives a
history of the Early Spanish/ Portuguese Jewish. As a side note the Torah in
this synagogue is from Portugal and is 500 years old. George Medeiros

Sent from my iPad