I think Eloise Cadinha posted years ago about a straight 1st degree.
Something like an uncle marrying a niece. The ones you posted are mixed, so
it could be more like a granduncle-niece. In large families, sometimes they
wind up being the same age (I've had an uncle-nephew and an aunt-niece in
the same classroom in my teaching career. They function more like cousins.
All the other teachers are baffled about the relationship, as they consider
aunts and uncles much older).

I believe it was Joao Ventura, the archivist, who mentioned in one of his
speeches that the Catholic church only went up to 3rd degree (4th cousins).
Today, I think they are only concerned up to the first cousin level.
Someone would need to ask their parish priest. Hopefully, your priest knows
you are into genealogy!

Cheri

On Sun, May 17, 2015 at 5:59 PM, Mary Bordi <busybo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I ran across two records from 1909 Norte Grande, Sao Jorge that mention
> dispensations for first degree (primeira grau) consanguinity! As far as I
> know they are not in my line--I just thought they were interesting. I'm not
> looking for a translation but feel free to discuss if you are interested.
> (I hope my spelling is somewhere near correct...)
>
> Two records state the couple "terem sido dispensados do primeiro grau
> mixto de segundo de consanguinidade colateral desigual".
>
> Record #1 on the left hand page:
>
> http://culturacores.azores.gov.pt/biblioteca_digital/SJR-VL-NORTEGRANDE-C-1900-1911/SJR-VL-NORTEGRANDE-C-1900-1911_item1/P82.html
>
> Record #6 on the right hand page:
>
> http://culturacores.azores.gov.pt/biblioteca_digital/SJR-VL-NORTEGRANDE-C-1900-1911/SJR-VL-NORTEGRANDE-C-1900-1911_item1/P86.html
> ------
>
> Another interesting nearby record is the marriage of the brother of the
> groom in record #1 to another cousin "dispensados do segundo grau
> attingente a primeira de consanguinidade em linha collateral desigual."
>
> Record #9 on the left hand page:
>
> http://culturacores.azores.gov.pt/biblioteca_digital/SJR-VL-NORTEGRANDE-C-1900-1911/SJR-VL-NORTEGRANDE-C-1900-1911_item1/P89.html
> -----
>
> As I said, I'm just posting as a matter of interest. I did not know that
> first degree was allowed.
>
> Also among the records is the marriage of a Joao de Mello Pires from Porto
> Judeu, Terceira, in case anyone is looking for him! Record starts bottom
> right:
>
> http://culturacores.azores.gov.pt/biblioteca_digital/SJR-VL-NORTEGRANDE-C-1900-1911/SJR-VL-NORTEGRANDE-C-1900-1911_item1/P90.html
>
> When I see the record of a marriage or a death of someone from another
> island I always wonder if someone is looking for them!
>
> Mary
>

>  --

Achada