I use IrfanView. Many good features like:
- add text through paint palette (interface could be better)
- paste left, right, top, bottom (great for adding pages together on one image
rather than multi-page TIFF or PDF.
- Reduces color palette and down sample (make images smaller)
- Lossless rotate (does not reduce jpg quality when rotating)
- Create multi-page TIFFs and PDFs

Been using it for years for work with modern records!

Bill