Hi Colleen/Steve,

The information from the passaportes are not on the date they set sail.

How soon did they register before sailing? When they felt like it. I don't
know if the passaportes expired or not. Most of the ancestors seemed to
register within a couple of months from sailing. Lots of factors are at
play here. Where did the ancestor live and which port would they set sail
from? Even that could go a couple of ways. If the port was not on their
island, one family member could have gone early to register the whole
family. Then again, if it was quite a ways, maybe they all showed up the
day before.

If I find my ancestor arriving, I go to the passaportes and start looking
on the arrival date working my way back. I know it was a boat and there's
no way the boat made it in one day. But I don't know when they registered
and I don't want to miss them, so I start of the arrival date and work my
way back until I find them.
Cheri