Alan F,

In spoken Portuguese, Antonio sounds like An-Tone. That's why you have that
interesting spelling. Francisco sounds kinda like Fran-Sheeshk. The final
vowel gets clipped and that syllable gets dropped, hence you get the
truncated names.

The groom's father is indeed Francisco da C. Compare to the C at the top of
the page in the word City.

Rosa's father is NOT an Antonio W. Gomes. It's probably a poorly written M
in whatever record you are reading. W doesn't exist in the Portuguese
language.

Everybody's experiences are different. My ancestors came right around 1900
and went through both WWI & WWII in America. Every generation was told
about being Portuguese. It was not big deal. It could have been English,
French, or whatnot.
Achada