Most churches do not have records before 1910 because they were confiscated by
the new Republic and became "civil records". Records before 1914 should be at
the Archives and are usually available.

As for post 1910 Church records, those are kept at the local parish. Access to
them depends entirely on the parish priest. Some priests will only look up a
particular record and issue it to you if he finds it. He will not research
(much) nor will he allow you to go through the book yourself. Some priests will
gladly engage you and do a thorough search. Other priests, especially if he is
your cousin, or was your father's class mate, or knew your relatives well,
might just sit you down in front of a desk, bring you the registers and tell
you to knock yourself out. (Before anybody thinks I am exaggerating, I have had
that felicitous experience myself and know of others who had that fortuitous
response.)
It really all depends on the priest and/or you connections. "Cunhas" are still
very important in the Azores. Do not let anybody tell you otherwise.
Good luck, Hank!
John M. Raposo

     On Thursday, July 9, 2015 12:36 PM, Marilyn Thompson <mari...@jmtmlt.com>