I don't know anything about that time period and tattoo's but since there's no
"w" in Portuguese maybe it was a different symbol or an English connection.
Nancy Jean

Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2015 14:31:45 -0700
From: insearchofthehumanspi...@gmail.com
To: azores@googlegroups.com
Subject: [AZORES-Genealogy] Portuguese Women and Tattoos (early 1900s)

Another researcher asked me about something that I'd never seen before, so I
thought I'd ask here.  His female ancestors was born in 1885 and migrated to
Hawaii with her parents.  She had a tattoo on her arm which looks like w w and
then 3 or 4 symbols.

I'm curious if anyone has seen this before with Portuguese women from that
period?  Other than the suggestions that it was initials of some sort (the w
definitely was...but the others look more like symbols), we can't come up with
any specific reason for the tattoos.

I've been working with Portuguese Hawaiian genealogy for 25 years and not once
has anyone told me their female ancestors born in the 1800s had a tattoo.

Any ideas if it does represent anything?
Thanks!