Beginning in 1500 with Cabral's journey into the Indian Ocean, trading
centers were developed in Africa, the Red Sea, and South Asia.

The map attached shows the Portuguese outposts around 1600.

Slaves could have been purchased from any of these places and transported
to the Azores.

I have a match with another Flores family. We both share backgrounds of Red
Sea ( Arabia, Iran), Northeast Africa, Sub Sahara Africa, West Asian, South
Asian.

Eric Edgar

On Thu, Sep 3, 2015 at 11:41 AM, Cheri Mello <gfsche...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes, DNA testing has shown people with African lineages.
> Cheri
>
> Cheri Mello
> Listowner, Azores-Gen
> Researching: Vila Franca, Ponta Garca, Ribeira Quente, Ribeira das
> Tainhas, Achada
>
> On Thu, Sep 3, 2015 at 5:07 AM, Manita M <manita.morg...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> This is very interesting.
>>
>> All my CCA records research are in the eastern part of Sao Miguel so
>> perhaps that is why I've never seen an "escravo" but I may not have noticed
>> it either as I'm still a newbie and not fully translating the records but
>> just focusing on the dates, names and places.
>>
>> I'm very curious to hear from others on this topic.
>>
>> Would the slaves have been "purchased" overseas and been brought to the
>> Azores?  I'm assuming they mainly came from Northern Africa?
>>
>> I do know that at the time of settlement they brought slaves to help
>> populate but I had assumed they would have become "free" once they got to
>> the Azores.
>>
>> Hmmmmmmm.
>>
>> DNA-wise:
>>
>> Anyone with Azorean DNA must have some slave OR North African DNA. Of
>> course anyone from Southern Portugal has some North African already mixed
>> into them so that can also explain the DNA ethnic makeup, but back to
>> slaves.
>>
>> I am assuming the slaves came from Africa?
>>
>> Yes, I'm well aware that there was white slavery too but those white
>> slaves ended up in the Berbarian lands and in fact could be our pre-Azorean
>> ancestors but that's another topic.
>>
>> I just wonder if these slaves were already in mainland Portugal or
>> Madeira and then sent to the Azores or if they came to the Azores from
>> Africa directly?
>>
>> Interesting topic and would love to hear from anyone with knowledge on
>> this topic that could reference sources.
>> On Sep 3, 2015 7:01 AM, "MaryAnn Santos" <m...@nyu.edu> wrote:
>>
>>> I've seen a number of references to slaves - "escravos" - in the CCA
>>> records. My research is primarily in São Miguel.
>>>
>>> MaryAnn

>>> --
>>> *MaryAnn Santos*
>>> Senior Advisement and Student Affairs Administrator
>>> Department of Art and Art Professions
>>> NYU/Steinhardt
>>> 212.998.5702