Family Tree Maker is no longer being made. Support will continue through
December 31st of this year, however.

I'd make a Gedcom of your tree from Ancestry and send it to mom. Mom should
also download a Gedcom of her tree. Then she should start a new file,
family, project (whatever it is called in FTM) and merge the 2 Gedcoms
together and then begin the clean up process (you guys probably did data
entry differently). After you have it the way you like it, upload it to
Ancestry in place of one of the trees and eliminate the other tree.

You mom can make a Gedcom of the merged tree and send it to you. If you
want to open it or view it though, you will need a genealogy software
program to do that. If you are mom's backup copy, then you are fine.

Gedcom directions (both uploading and downloading) are here:
http://goo.gl/6MQlzX

Achada