Hi Luciana,

1. The P. stands for "primeira" (first) certificate.
2. Unfortunately S. Miguel passport records available begin in the year
1875.

If indeed it was for travel reasons the certificate was obtained and he
left out of Ponta Delgada the only way I think might be is through the
ship's manifests.  Either at port of entry (Brasil) or by researching
through Ancestry records at Ancestry.com

Others may be able to share other possible venues.

On Wed, Feb 24, 2016 at 2:03 PM, Luciana Pio Raposo <lrapos...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Sorry, I posted in Portuguese and many are not proficient in the language
> I`ve been researching my great grandfather Manoel Raposo dos Santos, from
> Villa do Nordeste - São Miguel- born on June, 1839.
> A friend found his birth?Baptism registration on Apr 1856, when he was
> already 17 ys old, possibly because he needed a document for migration.
> (attached file)
> I am curious, though ,about  what the inscription on the margins of the
> registration means: *P. Certidão em 15 de abril de 1856.*
> *1 - Do any of you know why that? Ideas?*
>
> I`m also stuck trying to find his passport so that I can trace his arrival
> in Brazil. I`ve tried Torre do Tombo archives but they show entries of 2
> other Azores Islands on the period I suspect my ggrand father has left but
> I cannot find any entry from São Miguel before 1875.
> *2- Any idea if there was not passports from São Miguel before 1875 or the
> books have not been digitalized yet?*
> Thank you very much for your help.
> Luciana Raposo

Margaret M Vicente