The other alternative is access other research and records other than vital
records. For example, Bretanha vital records before around 1704 do not exist.
But, in 1727 thyy did exist in a very deplorable state and the Vicar knew they
were beyond saving. So, he made an index of all of the records that had not yet
completely deteriorated. Thus we have some (in index form) marriages that go
back as far back as 1569 and some baptisms (with the names of godparents
included) go back to 1609!

Then there are wills and deeds of sale which mostly outline ownership and how
property came down to the present owners or heirs. You see reference to many of
these records in the research of Carlos Machado, Rodrigo Rodrigues as well as
Forjaz and Ornelas.

Sometimes it isn't that the information doesn't exist, its that the vital
records for the period do not exist, but records like the Vicar's index, wills,
deeds, as well as the research of those who had/have access to those records do
exist.
John M. Raposo

    On Thursday, February 25, 2016 11:46 PM, Becky Mendonca