Hi Mike,
In Portuguese you will be looking for Antonio Carlos Pavao. His parents
would be Joao C. Pavao and Maria. Maria's parents would be Jose Viveiros
and Maria Torres. The ship bound for Hawaii left from the port of Ponta
Delgada on Sao Miguel island.

In "Passport Registrations, Portuguese Immigrants from Azores to Sandwich
Isles, 1879-1883" by Bob De Mello, lists the following on page 298

Pavao, Joao Carlos, age 51, son of Antonio Carlos and Maria Joaquina, from
Bretanha, with wife Maria Francisca, age 48, daughter of Jose Inacio Raposo
and Francisca Candida with children, Francisca, 23, Antonio, 20, Luis, 17,
Mariana, 14, Margarida, 11, Manuel, 9, all born in Bretanha, came on the
Bell Rock (sailed 3 Aug 1883-3 Sept 1883).

Others on this list will tell you how to search the Portuguese records
(doing a quick email check before I leave). You could also join us in Salt
Lake in September, where we will have 4 days of Portuguese genealogy!
goo.gl/GkxEV3

Achada