Marjorie, since you have a birth date of 12 Oct 1865 for Domingo (Domingos
in Azores) Dutra, you can start searching the Church Records of the Azores.
The books of baptisms for 1865 are separated by yearly baptisms (each book
covers one year) so it wouldn't be that difficult for you to check the
villages for a baptism of a Domingos on that date born to a Jose Dutra.
You need to go to Tombo.pt which is a portal to the CCA (the government
site that has all of the baptisms, marriages, deaths). Once you are on
Tombo, look to the left and scroll down to the bottom of the list and click
on "Acores" once there look to the left again and click on Sao Jorge, the
next screen in the Concelhos (Counties) of Velas and Calheta. Start with
Calheta and go from there. Once you have clicked on a Village name the
records available for that village will load. Click on Baptisms for 1865
and start looking. You will have to do this for each village unless you can
come up with the Village name beforehand.
I would suggest that you google "AzoresGenWeb" and download the map of Sao
Jorge (Not St. Jorge) and print out. You will need this map and the list of
churches/villages and the records available for each village. There are
many, many other resources on this site that you will need when reading the
records of the Azores. Ore you can come with Cheri and I to Salt Lake City
for the Azores Conference and Research trip!
Good Luck!

Rosemarie
rcap...@gmail.com
Researching Sao Jorge, Terceira, Graciosa, Faial and Pico, Azores,
Isola delle Femmine, Sant' Elia, Sicily