On Saturday, September 3, 2016 at 1:33:23 PM UTC-5, IslandRoutes wrote:

> I have a couple of questions for my cousin.  She's trying to solve some
> family mysteries which may revolved around a piece of property in Maia,
> Ribeira Grande.
>
> As the story goes, her grandmother went back and forth between Fall River,
> MA and Maia a couple of times.  She had a home in Fall River but also one
> in Maia.  I think at one point she stayed a couple of years in Maia then
> returned to Fall River.  It is said that she had someone in Maia who took
> care of the house for her.  She had planned to return in the 30s, but her
> sons didn't want to go back and didn't want the house. Her sons and
> daughters all had their own families and lives in America.
>
> She died in Fall River in 1947.  She was a widow, we think (her husband
> disappeared in the early 1920s...divorce, died, maybe left for Canada...we
> don't know).  Her son said that she own property in Maia.  But, when she
> died he never bothered to do anything about it.  There was no paperwork.
>
> First, the property would have been bought maybe 1910-1920.  Could an
> Azorean woman one property at that time in the Azores?
>
> Second, if she really did own this property, what would have happened to
> it when she died?  Would their have been some sort of probate process in
> the Azores?  Would it have passed down to some relative in the Azores?  All
> her children were in America at the time.  It does not look as if anyone
> pursued the property by trying to claim rights or trying to sell it.
>
> Anyone ever deal with something like this or would they have considered
> the property abandoned after a certain amount of time and then sold by the
> government?
>
> Thanks for any insights,
> Mel

"Could an Azorean woman one property at that time in the Azores?"

Yes. I have female relatives from slightly before that time who owned
properties in the same area.

"Second, if she really did own this property, what would have happened to
it when she died?  Would their have been some sort of probate process in
the Azores?  Would it have passed down to some relative in the Azores?  All
her children were in America at the time.  It does not look as if anyone
pursued the property by trying to claim rights or trying to sell it."

Generally speaking if there is no will or claim to the property, it will be
seized by the government and resold. If nobody claimed it, there's a decent
chance that's what happened. As to how to go about getting that sort of
information, I don't know. It's possible that the municipal hall in Ribeira
Grande would have those records. I doubt they'd be available online, though.