Thank you Cheri. As I suspected the only way to proceed is to use DNA.
Alexandrina da Assunção has four grandchildren that are still with us (two
males and two females) and numerous Great Grandchildren and their
offspring. Who would you recommend be tested and what type of test would
you suggest?

As a bit of an aside, after posting this question I've continued looking
for any Alexandrina born in Santa Maria between 1860 and 1870 who was an
'exposta'. Alexandrina is not a very common name and I have found only
one... baptized on March 17th 1862 in Villa do Porto. The link to the
record is
http://culturacores.azores.gov.pt/biblioteca_digital/SMA-VP-ASSUNCAO-B-1860-1864/SMA-VP-ASSUNCAO-B-1860-1864_item1/P88.html.
In this record she is described as "uma crianca do sexo femenino a que dei
o nome de Alexandrina que foi exposta na Roda da Casa da Camara depois da
meia noite, filha de Pais nao sabidos".

Of course there is no way to know from this information that this is the
woman that I'm looking for but now I'm curious to know from others if you
have found orphans who were given a second name based on the name of the
church in which they were baptized. If this is a common practice then
Alexandrina da Assunção may have gotten her second name from "Nossa Senhora
da Assunção", the church in which she was baptized. Again, I know that none
of this proves that this is the lady that I'm looking for but I'm inclined
to think there is a high likelihood that this is her...

Thanks,

George