One more thing to add after looking up your ancestor. It seems they have
the name "Pampoula" after Resende. What I thought was "de Paula" is more
likely "Pampoula" but the letter m is missing. You can see it here very
clearly in the marriage of what must be his brother Joao de Resende
Pampoula cc Maria de Resende, record on left side:

http://culturacores.azores.gov.pt/biblioteca_digital/SMG-PV-AGUARETORTA-C-1835-1860/SMG-PV-AGUARETORTA-C-1835-1860_item1/P27.html

JR