Search the passaportes leaving the Azores here: http://tombo.pt/d/acores

If your ancestor's name was Manuel da Silva, it will be Manuel da Silva
there. No difference in his name. The ages are written in numerals, so you
will be able to figure that out. If his parents' names were Jose da Silva
and Maria dos Anjos, they will say Jose da Silva and Maria dos Anjos.

There are guides to learning to read Portuguese. There are way more of us
non-native "readers" on this list than the natives. And we all learned to
read Portuguese. Here's the guide from the Azores GenWeb:
https://goo.gl/slQP9Q

Achada