Well, they are kinda beta testing it. Right now, you can't sign up until
they get a couple of bugs worked out (a couple of pop-up explanations don't
work, a couple of explanations need to be put into English, stuff like
that).

They have a variety of things in one lesson. Most start out with a picture.
It will say "Um casa" and a voice will pronounce it. You'll see a picture
of a cat, a house, and a coat (3 pictures). You pick the picture. If you
pick the wrong one, the correct one lights up.

After a few of those, they have a fill-in-the blank. There are 2 kinds. If
they are introducing a word (I'll stick with "casa'") the picture of the
house will be there and it will say "Um casa" but the "casa" is in gray.
When you start typing over it, it goes away. That's when they introduce the
word. There's a group that will show the house and it will only say, "Um
_____." You have to type "casa" all on your own.

Also, they have a few "drag-and-drop." The picture of the house will be
there. In English, the question will by typed, "It is a house." Below you
will see: casa É um. Well, they capitalized the first word of the sentence,
so you drag it in order to "É um casa."

Then there's a group with no picture (they are upping the ante!). It is
typed "É um casa." The voice says it (or you click on the speaker icon -
always click it.....5 times if needed!!). 4 sentences are below: It is a
house, It is a coat, It is a cat, It is a car." You pick one. Then they
have the reverse too where the question says "It is a house" and you have
to pick from "É um casa," "É um casaco," "É um gato," etc. There is a
speaker icon by each.

Also, there's the aural part. That's the spoken only. It's really tough, at
least for me. It says, "Listen and type in Portuguese." The voice says "É
um casa." No pictures, no prompts, no nothing. There are a variety of male
and female voices. But sometimes, I swear they are saying, "Éumcasa," just
like how the priests sometimes write our records!  I found out early that I
should have been clicking that speaker button EVERY time, even if I knew
the word "casa." I need to get used to the pronunciation. So sometimes I
click it 5 times. I clearly have a problem understanding the verb "to want"
(querer). I can read it, I can read it after it has been conjugated and I
can conjugate it by myself. But when it's the voice only questions, I mess
up. I'm also NOT able to distinguish when a word ends in a vowel and the
next word starts with a vowel. They just get mushed together. As annoying
as it was, I'm slowly getting better at them (and I think the guys slowed
the pronunciation down).

They don't always go in the order above. And you can retake a unit and get
a few different questions. And because the computer generates them, it can
put the aural part way too early in the unit. I was in the color unit, the
aural part came up and said "O pôr-do-sol é laranja." I heard the "é
laranja" but I didn't know what I was hearing for the first part. Later,
the computer gave me the pictures and that's when I saw the sunset and
realized what I heard.

Overall, it's pretty fun. The 2 guys are pretty helpful, but I'm thinking
they won't be answering as many of my questions when they roll it out
officially (I give them some teacher feedback...such as "If I'm in the
possessive unit, why did this question says "A nossa ____" and I typed in
"casa" instead of "A ____ casa" and have me type in "nossa," the
possessive. And why isn't it ______ casa, forcing me to type "A nossa"
since there's that article or whatever in front of "nossa." I asked them if
they roll their eyes when they see me in their inbox! LOL
Cheri

Achada