hi Margaret,

   I found on ancestry a NY immigration:

   New York Passenger List, 1820-1957
  Year: 1907: Arrival, New York, New York; Microfilm
   Serial: T715, 1897-1959; Micriofilm roll: roll 0885;
   Line 24; Page Number: 85

  Looking at the record again, I realize it has a different birth city -
Funchal, so while the age is right, this may not be him.  But if you look
up the page, Joao is line 28 that was the name I saw and jumped to the
conclusion it was him.

Its interesting to know that they would name their kids the same name - I
guess George Foreman wasn't the first to do that, then! ;}

Shirley, I do find the 14 year old Joao confusing, as there is a Virginia
that was born in 1893 to Joao and Francisca, so unless there was a multiple
birth or they adopted a child, he doesn't make sense.  But everything else
matches up in terms of ages and names/parentage.

Elaine
Elaine