I have a relative (Great Grandfather) ... born in Ribeira Seca, Calheta,
Sao Jorge, Azores.

http://culturacores.azores.gov.pt/biblioteca_digital/SJR-CH-RIBEIRASECA-B-1871-1879/SJR-CH-RIBEIRASECA-B-1871-1879_item1/P130.html

On his baptism record, it says his father is unknown (pai incognito).

But, on his marriage document: the priest writes that his father is "Jose
de Sousa Borba".

http://culturacores.azores.gov.pt/biblioteca_digital/SJR-CH-RIBEIRASECA-C-1890-1899/SJR-CH-RIBEIRASECA-C-1890-1899_item1/P37.html
http://culturacores.azores.gov.pt/biblioteca_digital/SJR-CH-RIBEIRASECA-C-1890-1899/SJR-CH-RIBEIRASECA-C-1890-1899_item1/P38.html

Is the document saying that the priest knows the father or ... friends say
he was the father?
I'm a little confused on this one. Can I claim his lineage or not? I don't
want to go looking for his baptismal record if my lineage stops there.

Louie