Hi Gordon,

Those are really interesting questions.  I might be able to help a bit with
the question regarding the currency, but others will have to answer your
questions on religious practice.

Currency: The Real was the monetary unit in use until about 1910 and the
end of the Portuguese monarchy.   A Vintem equaled 20 Reis, and a Tostao
equaled 80 (or, later, 100) Reis.  What are the dates of the records you're
wondering about?  I have some historic conversion rates somewhere on my
computer, but depending on the period you're looking at, they might not
apply.

Also, if you don't mind adding links to the original records you're
referencing,  that might help people to interpret them.

hope that helps,

:)

Linda