Hello,

I am looking through some records in Calheta on Sao Jorge, and found that
every few entries in the baptismal book the priest adds a little Va/Via in
the margin.

Examples include:

http://culturacores.azores.gov.pt/biblioteca_digital/SJR-CH-CALHETA-B-1803-1812/SJR-CH-CALHETA-B-1803-1812_item1/P78.html
http://culturacores.azores.gov.pt/biblioteca_digital/SJR-CH-CALHETA-B-1803-1812/SJR-CH-CALHETA-B-1803-1812_item1/P77.html

The same notation can be found in the villages death books:
http://culturacores.azores.gov.pt/biblioteca_digital/SJR-CH-CALHETA-O-1782-1818/SJR-CH-CALHETA-O-1782-1818_item1/P175.html

This is repeated every handful of entries. I would love to know what the
priest was denoting, or counting! Any help in the matter would be greatly
appreciated.

,

Jeremy
Researching: Sao Jorge, Pico, Flores, Faial, Graciosa, Teirceira