My guess would be someone looking at the record book was marking/counting
people. Maybe their own family members. I do not remember seeing those
kinds of marks when we used the books looking for records.

Another possibility, when the records were digitized; those that needed to
be redone because they blurry were marked. Then the second mark was there
way of knowing that it had been redone.

Those are my guesses, unless someone actually put the marks of the page
answers it will only be guesses.