The paper on the previous version is gone. They only have this, which, to
me, is nothing but placating the customer:
https://goo.gl/wb2y7F

When they were developing the previous version, they had a survey on our
DNA page. We filled it out and hit send. It asked very basic information of
our name and birth place, parents names and birth places and grandparents
names and birth places. I don't remember it asking for the
great-grandparents (but it's been 3 years). I'm guessing that if one of
those people (you, parents, grands) were born outside the U.S. that they
pulled your data and used it. They also combined it with scientific data
from the field as well. The largest population sample they had was 147
Japanese. They also had a large sample of a couple African places.
Portugal? There was 25. Just 25 people representing ALL of the Azores, ALL
of Madeira, and ALL of Portugal (Portugal is roughly the size of Indiana).
It was probably an inadequate sample, but it sorta seemed to work. Whoever
looked up the Azores on a map said that they were part of the British Isles
and if you read the descriptions on the My Origins page, you would have
seen it there. When that came out, I did email the Bennett Greenspan,
president and owner of FTDNA, and told him the Azores was not part of the
British Isles as the description stated. He concurred, but the description
was never updated.

This technology for ethnicity ESTIMATES (and you need to remember that
word) has only been around 7 years. So it still has a ways to go. It's
supposed to be kind of a broad brush, giving you an overview of your
ethnicity as an approximation. Except for this version. It seems like the
cat jumped up and knocked the paint over and some of us had something else
in our brush (contamination in DNA terms) while others were just fine.

So while we wait for them to release the paper, go log into your Matches
and if they are at least 100 cMs or more, look at their trees and figure
out how they match you. If they have no tree, email them and ask them to
upload their Gedcom. If they don't know what a Gedcom is, they need to do
an Internet search for: name-of-software create gedcom.

After you get your matches in your tree, upload new Gedcom and start
linking your people. Once you do that, you'll see your matches populate
your Paternal and Maternal tabs (Parental Matching) My dad's page:
[image: Inline image 1]

If you can't figure out the Parental Matching, just get those matches into
your tree and upload a new Gedcom. Then let me know and I'll start the
Parental Matching for you.

The meat of the DNA is working with our Matches. The ethnicity ESTIMATES
(remember that word?) are amusing, but until they release the paper,
there's nothing to do. So please, go figure out your Matches :)
Cheri Mello, Family Tree DNA Admin, Azores DNA Project

Ribeira das Tainhas, Achada