Hi JR and John Reposo & others too,

It’s time to revisit Manuel Cabral & Maria de Oliveira, the mentioned
parents of Joseph de Faria & Barbara Tavares, m. 20 Feb 1737.  I found NO
births with with Cabral/deOliveira names on them.

You indicated that they were actually Manuel Cabral and Maria Farya, which
I had also found and wrote seven children with them as parents (all born in
Rabo de Peixe).

Maria: bpt. 29 Sep 1703 (lists dad as Manuel Cabral Velho).  If I have the
same Maria Cabral,
       she was married to Tome Alvares, 19 Feb 1726, and her parents are
listed as
       Manuel Cabral pedreiro & Maria de Oliveira.
Twins: Manoel and Antonia: b.20 Feb 1705
Antonia: b.24 Feb 1707. Her marriage shows Manuel Cabral manuho (?) & Maria
de Faria as
        her parents, m.20 May 1709.
Felipa: b. 20 May 1709
Joseph: b. 4 May 1712. Parents are Manuel Cabral Maniche (?) & Maria de
Faria.  If this is
        my Joseph, he was 25 years old when he got married and his parents
listed at his
        wedding are Manuel Cabral & Maria de Oliveira.
Joachim: b.5 Sep 1714. Parents listed as Manuel Cabral Vehlo de Teve &
Maria de Faria on
        birth record!

Here is the marriage of Manuel Cabral de Teve & Maria de Farya, 27 Dec 1703:

http://culturacores.azores.gov.pt/biblioteca_digital/SMG-RG-RABODEPEIXE-C-1700-1759/SMG-RG-RABODEPEIXE-C-1700-1759_item1/P15.html

This is a long and convoluted email.  But how do we say with certainty that
these parents are the same people?  Is there another piece of paper in this
long paper trail that says they they are the same people?  What I find so
very interesting is that it states in his death record that he is the
spouse of Maria de Oliveira (not Faria) at such a late period in his life.

At this point I have not found a de Oliveira in Maria de Farya’s parents
names.  I have not gone further back on that side.  Why the confusion with
the priest’s writing?

Thanks for pondering this.  I sure wish I could read Portuguese and
possibly get more out of these records.
Thea Norum