Hi Richard and JR.

The record is intent clear in that it states the natural father Antonio da
Silva Canario and the mother Helena Rosa, widow, naturals, parishioners
residents of the parish.

it then says that the child Emilia Paternal and Maternal Grandparents are
incognitos.  This means both of Emilia's parents, were foundlings and of
unknown parents.

Hope this helps.

Margaret

On Mon, May 22, 2017 at 10:24 AM, Richard Francis Pimentel <
rfrancispimen...@comcast.net> wrote:

> *JR and I are both scratching our heads on this record We need some other
> native speakers to take a look at this record and the wording and perhaps
> explain what the writer was trying to say.*
>

> *A few facts about it are Antonio da Silva Canario and Helena Rosa married
> in 1854 and have 3 children at the time of this record (the birth of
> Emilia) Antonio is 66 years old and Helena is about 42.  Antonio is named
> as having died in the Hospital in Ribeira Grande in 1876 when Helena
> remarries.*
>

> *http://culturacores.azores.gov.pt/biblioteca_digital/SMG-RG-RIBEIRINHA-B-1871-1879/SMG-RG-RIBEIRINHA-B-1871-1879_item1/P87.html
> <http://culturacores.azores.gov.pt/biblioteca_digital/SMG-RG-RIBEIRINHA-B-1871-1879/SMG-RG-RIBEIRINHA-B-1871-1879_item1/P87.html>
> Emilia on the right side*
>

> *The part in question is the priest writes “ filha legitima digo fila
> natural Antonio da Silva campaneo e  de Helena Rosa” then there is a few
> lines before he writes “nita paterna”  I can make out part of the line I
> think is says that they are both married and residing in the freguesia but
> I do not completely understand it all. *
>

> *In subsequent records Emilia she is named as father unknown.*
>

> *My feeling is that Emilia is the results of an adulterous affair and
> Antonio denied he was the father Helena denied having an  affair.  The
> priest could not determine who was telling the truth. *
>

> *Rick*
>
> *Richard Francis Pimentel*
>
> *Epping, NH*
>

> *Researching, Riberia Grande, Riberinha, Achada Grande,  Bretanha, and
> Ponta Delgada,  Sao Miguel, Acores*

Margaret M Vicente