Cheri,

The majority age in Portugal according to, [Codigo Civil de Seabra
(artigo 1058º)
de 1867]  was 21 years of age.

Also and in accordance to the same Code, the age for marriage was: 16 years
of age for a man and 14 years of age for a woman.

This information was obtained from a discussion in between interested
parties in geneall.net forum and from a legal adviser by the name of Maria
Benedita, through Marcio Coutinho.  The thread is in Portuguese but here
linked for anyone's interest

http://geneall.net/pt/forum/147140/idade-minima-para-o-casamento-no-sec-xix/

Regarding the notice of Emancipation.  I don't think this is age related
simply because of the title:
 Inventário de Jacinto José de Braga

This means that Jacinto's Estate will be inventoried by the serving
Tribunal Court of Ponta Delgada and Jose Jacinto de Braga.

If Jose Jacinto de Braga is already 21 years old why would he be looking
for his emancipation?

For an individual to file for emancipation, that same individual would be
the one to be inventoried to prove to the Court that he/she were able to be
on their own.  It appears to me the right answer is in the file and it
would require someone to have a look to see what it was about.

On Tue, May 23, 2017 at 5:22 PM, Cheri Mello <gfsche...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't remember the majority age for a man to get married back then.
> Maybe he wasn't majority age to get married so he is filing emancipation?
> Hopefully someone else knows more about this topic and can chime in.
>
> Cheri Mello
> Listowner, Azores-Gen
> Researching: São Miguel island: Vila Franca, Ponta Garca, Ribeira Quente,
> Ribeira das Tainhas, Achada
>
> On Tue, May 23, 2017 at 2:15 PM, IslandRoutes <islandrou...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Cheri,
>> That's how I read it.  But, if so, why?  Could it have something to do
>> with him being the oldest surviving son and moving away from Maia to Ponta
>> Delgada to get married?
>>
>> On Tuesday, May 23, 2017 at 11:25:52 AM UTC-7, Cheri Mello wrote:
>>>
>>>  I read that (with my limited Portuguese) as Jose is filing for
>>> emancipation from his father.
>>>
>>> Cheri Mello
>>> Listowner, Azores-Gen
>>> Researching: São Miguel island: Vila Franca, Ponta Garca, Ribeira
>>> Quente, Ribeira das Tainhas, Achada
>>>

>>> --

Margaret M Vicente