There are many lines in Ponta Delgada with the `Luis` last name.

Ponta Delgada has many Parishes and your subject line message is too
broad.  You should provide any/all information on the person of interest so
that someone in this list can check their trees to see if there's a match.

A few of my Luis lines reach the 1600's in Ponta Delgada

Martinho Luis
Andre Luis
Manuel Luis
Sebastiao Luis etc.

I have other lines, out of Lagoa, Vila Franca, and Nordeste.

You can also search the on-line indexes for Sao Sebastiao and Sao Pedro in
Ponta Delgada.

http://www.culturacores.azores.gov.pt/ig/registos/Default.aspx

http://www.culturacores.azores.gov.pt/ig/registos/Default.aspx

Also the Eng. Joao Luis Tavares Silva family tree on geneat may contain
leads for you.  Here's a link.

http://gw.geneanet.org/tavaressilva?lang=pt&m=S&n=luis&p=

On Mon, May 29, 2017 at 5:50 PM, 'Brenda' via Azores Genealogy <
azores@googlegroups.com> wrote:

> Thank you so much. I have looked for 20 years trying to find this family
> and it is like hitting a brick wall.
>

> On Monday, May 29, 2017 at 4:11:33 PM UTC-4, Cheri Mello wrote:
>>
>> Brenda,
>>
>> Everything over there is organized at the town/village level (most of
>> Europe is that way).
>>
>> Knowing island and council is not enough. You need the freguesia
>> (village) so you can find the church.
>>
>> It will be Luis over there.
>>
>> The order from small to large would be Ponta Delgada (the council), Sao
>> Miguel island, Azores (autonomous region), Portugal (country). The only
>> reason I put "island" in there is to eliminate confusion. There's an island
>> called Sao Jorge, but there are also churches with that name. There are
>> others that I could cite as examples as well. Most people just post the
>> freguesia and island and don't bother with the rest.
>>
>> If you don't have the freguesia (village) yet, here's a list of things to
>> get you started to find it: https://goo.gl/vOijK0
>>
>> It's on the main site of the Azores GenWeb. You'll want to bookmark it
>> and explore it some more: https://goo.gl/Xzol8B
>>
>> Good luck, Cheri
>>
>> Cheri Mello
>> Listowner, Azores-Gen
>> Researching: São Miguel island: Vila Franca, Ponta Garca, Ribeira Quente,
>> Ribeira das Tainhas, Achada

Margaret M Vicente