The flight from Oakland to Terceira is, technically, a charter flight
ticketed by Azores Airlines (the "new" identity of SATA International) but
managed and operated by a private company. I took this flight last summer
and it was wonderful. However, SATA has sometimes cancelled this flight and
rebooked passengers from San Francisco or Oakland to Boston for the regular
Azores Airlines flight to the islands, either Ponta Delgada, São Miguel, or
Lajes, Terceira. Be on the alert. My assumption is such a change occurs
when there are too few passengers for the charter flight to break even for
SATA.

Regardless, you definitely should book your ticket entirely to Pico (PIX)
through SATA so that you are completely covered on each leg of the journey.
SATA has code-share arrangements with Virgin America and JetBlue from SFO
to BOS and then to PIX through either PDL or TER. I would attempt the
through flight first before considering the ferry from Terceira to Pico.
Reason: One ticket through SATA protects you against cancellations, delays,
or who-knows-what because SATA then accommodates you with hotel and meal
vouchers and retickets you for the next flight. If you piece-meal your
transit any other way and happen to miss a connection, it's your problem.

July and August are the highest demand months for travel to and from the
Azores. If you are going, get your tickets NOW, if you can. The fares will
be at their highest, unfortunately. The Oakland flight might well be sold
out already. That's just how it is during high season. The later you go in
August, the lower the fare; a return in September is cheaper than in
August. This is because the demand shifts.

However, you might want to spend a day or three either in Ponta Delgada or
Angra, both to adjust to the time difference and for the adding
sightseeing. As for ferry service, you can get information
at https://www.atlanticoline.pt/p/p/ There are two high-speed catamaran
ferries now running, cutting the transit time considerably. Seats on the
ferries are generally easy to get up to the departure time. Useful to know:
There is a significant discount for passengers over 65. As a foreigner, you
must present a passport to verify your age; a driver's license or anything
else is likely to be refused because it is not an
internationally-recognized item. The ferry ride can be lovely. From
Terceira, there is regular service from Praia de Vitória to Santa Cruz,
Graciosa, to Velas, São Jorge, to São Roque, Pico. There is occasional
service from Angra as well. The Atlântico line has information on all the
routes. The new ferries, however, are enclosed and not open as the older
Santorini was, so the ride is not at open-sea feeling as before. Still, the
boats come close enough to the islands that you can see things otherwise
missed by airplane.

Where in Pico would you be staying? I'm in Santo Amaro the whole summer. It
would be wonderful to meet a fellow list-member in person!

Tomás Leal