This is one of those controversial lineages. I (and most of the genealogists
that I have consulted both in the US and in the Azores) agree that Jose and
Vital are one and the same person. However, whenever I do research that
involves this family, I always add a footnote. After all the time that has
passed, I doubt that we'll ever have proof one way or the other.

Sorry I cannot be of more help.
John