I would appreciate if insight could be given as to how long before ship
departure a person needed to get their passport? I long ago located my 2nd
ggmother and three of her children, including my 1ggmother on the manifest
of the bark Veronica. The ship left Horta, Fayal, on 21 September 1885 and
landed in New Bedford, MA, on 10 October 1885. I thought I would easily
find their passport registration data on the CCA website, but no; even
though many other passengers from that voyage were in the Fayal passport
records, not my ancestral family. Anyone have an idea what the requirements
were? You apparently could register at any one of the Azores' three big
ports (Horta, Angra, Ponta Delgada) and I haven't figured out if there were
timing requirements, but I would guess from what I've seen that it can be
right up to the time of departure. I'm just hoping that understanding the
requirements will give me a better chance of finding my ancestors' passport
application records - perhaps I can't find them because they were not
absolutely required?? Thanks very much.