Claire,

You need to go to the Azores Genweb here and read this 20 page document on
how to locate your ancestors: https://goo.gl/R6tWfF

Also, I'd go to the local public library and check out a book on genealogy.
I like Emily Anne Croom's "Unpuzzling Your Past." Check out whatever grabs
you.

In addition, you can see if your local adult school teaches a genealogy
class. You local Family History Center may have them as well. If there's a
local genealogy society near you, they can teach you as well.

You're not ready to do Azorean research. You need to research your American
ancestors and learn how to use U.S. Census records and get used to the
differences from census to census. It creates a time line for your
ancestor. All that information is summarized in the link above, in any good
genealogy book and taught in all genealogy classes.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Ribeira das Tainhas, Achada