My experience with the Portuguese Language is not typical of most
Potuguese-Americans. I was born on a farm (literally in the farmhouse) in
the Central Valley of California, son of Azorean immigrants from the Island
of Flores. My father had immigrated in 1908 and my mother in 1928 about 5
years before I was born. Our everyday language was Portuguese so, in
effect, Portuguese was my first language. My nearest playmate was a girl a
few months older who lived about a quarter mile away whose father was
Portuguese-American. I started picking up a little English with her but
spoke little when I started school.
By the time I finished high school, I spoke little Portuguese, My parents
spoke to me in Portuguese, I replied in English or "Portuglish". Then, a
family of cousins immigrated from Flores. For the first time in years I had
to speak Portuguese and it re-ignited my interest in the Portuguese
Language. including the acquired ability to read and write simple letters.
Then after finishing grad school, I was offered a position in Brazil by an
International Environmental Engineering firm. That was my introduction to
Brazilian Portuguese. It was difficult at first but I eventually I got it
aided by the fact that I met and married a "Brasileira".
I now speak Portuguese with an undefined accent. When I am in Portugal,
people ask what part of Brazil I'm from and when in Brazil, they may ask
where I'm from. Early on,  a Brazilian friend identified my accent as being
an "Island" accent.
John Vasconcelos