I wouldn't rely on the census for correct spelling. If the person being
interviewed was illiterate they may not have known how to spell their name.
Then it was up to the census taker to sound it out, sometimes from a heavy
accent! Even the records in the Azores have different spellings for some
names in different eras. I have most often seen it spelled Bettencourt here
in California. (My ancestors are from Sao Jorge and there is Bettencourt in
the family.)

Where did the Bettencourt you are looking for settle in the US? East or
West coast or somewhere in between? I would pretty much bet they were from
the Azores.

Mary