FTDNA no longer offers a Y12 test. The Y12 Test tested only 12 markers  and was
used to place the tester in their Haplogroup The problem is that with a large
population in the R1b group it was not possible to place them in a more recent
population time line and give any meaning to a match. For a first time Y-DNA
tester I do not see any value in testing any higher than a Y67. Once you have
matches at the Y67 level then I would consider the Y111.

Rick

Family Tree DNA Co-Administrator
Azores DNA Project

Azores DNA Project Co-Administrators