When you purchase a genealogy program for your computer, there's just the
purchase price. Most companies continue to add a few more features so every
couple of years, they will have the upgrade for a price (they'ne got to pay
their programmers!) Most have a discounted price for current users to
upgrade to, however.

If you have your tree on Ancestry.com (or FamilySearch.org or
MyHeritage,com or or or), you can create a Gedcom file. Since you are on
Ancestry, I'd do an Internet search for:
download tree ancestry
and get this:
https://support.ancestry.com/s/article/Uploading-and-Downloading-Trees

Save it to your Desktop. After you decide which genealogy software you like
(RootsMagic has their Essentials as a free trial version and Legacy Family
Tree has their Standard Edition for free), do File > Import and bring your
data in.

You mention Family Tree Maker (FTM), another genealogy software. They are
now owned by MacKiev. I don't know of any free trials or sales on that. So
if you like Family Tree Maker (FTM), you'll just have to purchase it and
hope you like it.

I don't know what you mean by the "matches." We are talking about genealogy
software. Unless you mean being able to tell people with the same surname
apart. Yes, the genealogy software programs for you computer can help.
Here's a bunch of Manuel de Mellos in my program:
[image: Inline image 1]

On some, I have birth and death dates to tell them apart. On most, I have
the father's and the mother's name. I have the spouse on many as well. So
it helps me figure out which Manuel de Mello I want to work on.

Also, many of these genealogy software programs have User Groups. You would
have to look on the genealogy software site for one in your area. The
nearest one to me was a 50 minute drive, but I did it. We met every other
month. Going to the User Groups really helped me become a very good user of
my genealogy program.

Many people will insist their genealogy software program is the "best." The
"best" is what is best for you. When I picked mine in the mid-90s, I needed
something that could take loooong place names (Vila Franca do Campo and
Ribeira das Tainhas were too long for all genealogy software programs back
in the day) and take the diacritics (accented letters: ç, or João). Almost
all genealogy software programs can handle these things today. You'll be
interested in the look and feel. Check out their indexing system to see if
it handles enough fields for you to tell all the Manuel de Mellos apart.
Also see how it handles same-sex partners. Whatever your personal beliefs
may be, that's your own personal thing, but I'm finding distant cousins who
have a spouse of the same sex and function as a family, so I go ahead and
enter their spouse in my program. Some programs won't take it at all. Also,
most will have a Relationship Calculator so you can figure out that the new
found cousin is a 3rd cousin 2x removed, a 4th cousin once removed, and a
5th cousin, all at once! The online ones (Ancestry, MyHeritage, Geni) can't
do this. You may also want to look at their report features and chart
features. Reports are good to send to cousins. Charts are good for your own
use as well as cousins. Online programs don't do this.

So just find the one that is the best fit for you. I know the most popular
ones are Family Tree Maker (FTM) by MacKiev (partners with Ancestry),
Legacy Family Tree (Millennia Corp and partnering with MyHeritage), and
RootsMagic (partners with Family Search.org and I don't know who else).
These also have User Groups you may be able to attend. There are other
genealogy software programs that others have mentioned in this thread.
Again, find the one that suits you best.

Good luck! Cheri

Ribeira das Tainhas, Achada