Hi Cheri,

I'm sorry if my post was confusing. My g-grandfather is Manuel Souza
Garcia. I recently got access to his own marriage certificate (in
California) listing his parents as Manuel Souza and Isabelle Garcia.
Considering that women generally didn't have last names at the time my
g-grandfather was born (between 1888 and 1892, as I originally stated) that
means that his mother wouldn't have the name Garcia in the baptismal
record, correct? It also wouldn't list his surname since they didn't do
that as far as I can tell.

The marriage in the index link I posted is for the parents, and you can see
a Manuel listed as a child with the birth year 1889. The mother is listed
as Isabel Jacinta ("do Coração de Jesus" is how her name continues in their
marriage record). The son is listed as Manuel Sousa.

Cameron